Thursday, August 1, 2013

Traver Dodorye Poem


“Condemnatory” by Traver Dodorye

Should I be judged because the skin I was born within? Will I be imperfect because I sin? How will I rise above poverty in a society where I am criticized, because the color of my skin. Will I end up in jail or dead due to low expectations held for me? Will I be pulled over in traffic because there was a recent burglary and I fit the description of the suspects? Will I always be a suspect? Should I live in fear or keep faith? Will there be justice? How many more risks should I take? Should I stand my ground or run because I am brown? Should I trash all of my hoodies? Why do I always fit the description of someone suspicious? Will I be killed while doing right? Do i have any rights? Will my son be protected? Should I be his lifetime driver? Will he be able to walk to the store? Does equality exist? What is it about life that I missed? We all deserve an equal amount of respect, love and honesty and honestly I will never lose faith but when you murder someone because of their race we all know this is not a mistake. The system wasn't made to protect blacks we must protect ourselves. My skin color shouldn’t determine how you judge me or if you should love me, please don’t dismiss me because this is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment